Mark HodgsonJazz Double Bass / Electric Bass Tutor
Mark Hodgson studied double bass, composition and piano at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, receiving a prodigious scholarship from the patrons of the School. Since leaving the Guildhall, Mark has become one of the most in-demand double bass players on the European scene, playing and recording with artists including Randy Brecker, Cedar Walton, Eddie Henderson, Larry Coryell, Bobby Watson, Greg Osby, Bill Charlap, Sonny Fortune, Scott Hamilton, James Williams, Louis Stewart, Bruce Barth, Joe Temperley,Gary Smulyan, Gordon Beck, Jean Toussaint, Ingrid Jensen, Tommy Smith, Rick Margitza, Peter King, Georgie Fame, Jon Gordon, Tim Garland, Roger Kellaway and Gregory Hutchinson.
He has played at festivals all around the world and in some of the world’s most prestigious Jazz clubs, including 'Birdland' and ‘The Knitting Factory’ in New York, ‘Ronnie Scott's' in London, ‘The Blues Alley' in Washington, 'Yoshi’s' in San Francisco and 'Catalina’s' in Los Angeles.
Currently Performing / Working with
Since returning to London in 2003 Mark has been involved in a diverse range of projects, from film music to Hip Hop and R&B records, he has also been a regular member of:
- Bill Bruford’s ‘Earthworks’
- Billy Cobham’s ‘Art Of 5’
- The Bill Charlap Trio
- Tim Garland’s 'Underground Orchestra'
- The Julian Joseph Trio featuring Mark Mondesir
- A new trio with Cleveland Watkiss and Empirical's Shaney Forbes
- Gift with Bill Charlap, Louis Stewart and Stephen Keogh (Ashbrown Productions)
- The Sound of Surprise with Bill Buford’s Earthworks (Discipline Global Mobile)
- Artfully with The European Piano Trio featuring Bill Charlap, Stephen Keogh and Mark Hodgson (Urban Beauty Records)
- Footloose and Fancy Free with Bill Bruford’s Earthworks (Discipline Global Mobile)
- Andy Panayi with The Andy Panayi Quartet (Concord Jazz)