Edwin RoxburghComposition Tutor
Instrumental performing, conducting and teaching have all been constant motivations to Edwin Roxburgh’s principle profession, composing. His music has been performed worldwide with commissions and performances from sources as diverse as Menuhin, the BBC and Prunella Scales. After leaving his first post as principal oboist of Sadlers Wells Opera, Edwin spent many years pioneering new techniques on the instrument in BBC broadcasts and recitals. They are represented in a substantial number of his compositions, which are published by UMP, Ricordi and Maecanas. He is also co-author with Leon Goossens of The Oboe, a Menuhin Music Guide. As a conductor he has received awards such as the Cobbett Medal for Services to Music, significantly in contemporary music, with over 100 premières. He has conducted most of the major UK orchestras and is currently Director of the Warehouse Ensemble. Several fellowships signify the research involved in Edwin’s creative work, not only in conference publications and journals but also in the substance of such a work as his recent opera, Abelard. These interests keep him occupied as a guest at a number of universities and colleges in the UK. After retiring from the RCM he now enjoys a creative involvement at the Conservatoire. Recordings of his music include NMC and Warehouse labels.
- Composition commissions
- Various concerts
- 2007: Reflets dans la glace: Sound Adventures for Piano (NMC D132)
- 2006: Saturn / Clarinet Concerto (NMC D119)
- Cobbett Prize
- Collard Fellowship for Services to Music (1980)
- Leverhulme Fellowship
- various other prizes
- Hereford International Summer School
- various masterclasses and seminars in several universities and conservatoires
- The Oboe, a Menuhin Music Guide
- Edwin's music is published by United Music Publishers, G Ricordi & Co and Maecenas Music.
- British Music in the 1990s (Ashgate)
- presentations at various conferences